NERC/CIP- Utilities and Energy
Port Security Services has over a decade of experience providing security services to the utilities and energy industry. Our security officers can provide you with the assistance needed to protect your critical assets.
We currently provide major utility and energy companies with the following services:
- Access Control for Sensitive Facilities
- Perimeter and Intrusion Detection for Sensitive Facilities
- Video and Alarm Monitoring for Electrical Substations
- Vehicle and Foot Patrols of Secure and Restricted Facilities
- Executive Protection for Linemen During Large-Scale Power Outages or other High-Risk Company Personnel
- NERC Compliance
- On-Call Rapid-Response Units for Protests, Strikes, or Emergency Services
The electrical power grid and power transmission systems have never been more important to our nation’s economic success, and their vulnerability has never been more apparent. Our experienced security officers can help you protect your facility, while remaining compliant with federal regulations from the North American Electric Reliability Corporation (NERC).
NERC maintains cyber security standards for protecting critical infrastructure. The Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) approved the Critical Infrastructure Protection (CIP) Cyber Security Standards which are designed to protect Critical Cyber Assets. NERC Standards CIP-002-3 through CIP-009-3 provide a cyber security framework to identify and protect Critical Cyber Assets in order to protect the bulk electric system. Learn more about NERC CIP compliance here.
The Challenges for security and compliance to regulatory requirements are unprecedented in our post-9/11 world.
Utility industry leaders have reported that NERC compliance requirements have created disruptions in workflow for their employees, linemen, and engineers, who may be performing security duties, monitoring personnel, subcontractors, and anyone who is not approved for “un-escorted access” to the utility site. This situation is costly to the industry.
Port Security Services can provide the security personnel that you need, reducing your costs and improving efficiency. Our expert NERC/CIP trained security officers can help you secure any location at your utility substation, and other areas of your facility or construction site. Reducing costs and freeing your employees and contractors from the security workload necessary to maintain NERC compliance.
Our NERC/CIP Trained Officers Can Provide:
- NERC regulated access control compliance including continuous escorting of individuals who are not approved for “unescorted access” while at a NERC-regulated Sub Station or other NERC-compliant areas
- NERC regulated video and alarm monitoring of electrical substations or other critical assests.
- Outsourcing of these services to Port Security Services Inc. provides cost-relief in contrast to the use of the Utility Company’s personnel or contractor-provided personnel
- Officers completely implement and follow both regulated and company access requirements which pertain to any designated contractors, approved visitors or company employees who do not themselves have “unescorted access” provileges
- All officers are fully trained and proficient in all regulatory, safety and procedural requirements including 3rd party substation hazard awareness training, and all officers are outfitted compliant with utility industry standards